According to Rapporteur Report From, AA, Link, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said on Monday a new round of Syria talks in Kazakhstan’s capital Astana would be held in the same format as last month.
In comments reported by Russia’s official TASS news agency, Lavrov said the Astana meeting would be used to promote a cease-fire and advance political process in Syria.
Astana will host the new meeting on Wednesday and Thursday with representatives of Russia, Turkey and Iran who agreed last month to create a cease-fire monitoring group.
The January meeting in Astana saw the three countries agree a trilateral mechanism for observing and ensuring compliance with a cease-fire which came into effect on Dec. 30.
Representatives of the Syrian government and armed opposition groups also attended that meeting.
Lavrov also confirmed representatives of the Syrian regime, the opposition, the U.S. plus UN special envoy Staffan de Mistura had been invited to this week’s Astana meeting.
Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Mikhail Bogdanov told TASS Moscow looked forward the visit of the U.S. as an observer.
Bogdanov said Russia would be represented by Special Envoy for Syria Alexander Lavrentiev. He added the cease-fire would be the focal point of the talks.
More talks are due to take place between the Syrian government and the opposition in Geneva on Feb. 20.