Attacks earlier in the week among the heaviest since Dec. 30 cease-fire, UN official says
According to Rapporteur Report From, AA, Link, At least 20 children were killed in Syria early in the week despite a cease-fire in the country, according to the United Nations Children's Fund.
"In Idlib earlier in the week, violence reportedly left 30 people dead, including 16 children. Some of those killed were displaced from fighting in Aleppo," UNICEF Regional Director Geert Cappelaere said in a Friday statement on reports of children killed and injured in Syria.
Noting that another four children died and at least five were injured in attacks in Homs, Cappelaere said other attacks also took place in East Ghouta, rural Damascus, with children among the killed.
"These attacks appear to be among the heaviest since the start of the most recent cessation of hostilities on December 30, 2016," Cappelaere said.
"Killing and injuring children is a grave violation of children’s rights. They must stop once and for all," he added.
On Dec. 30, a countrywide cease-fire -- mediated by Russia and Turkey -- went into effect in Syria. The indirect talks between the Syrian regime and opposition wrapped up in Kazakh capital Astana, with both sides approving the establishment of a tripartite Turkish-Russian-Iranian mechanism for monitoring cease-fire violations.