Russia says it has composed a “good” draft resolution together with France on the deployment of UN monitors to Aleppo to ensure safe evacuations out of the northwestern Syria city.
According to Rapporteur Report From, Press Tv,Link,Russia’s Ambassador to the United Nations Vitaly Churkin announced the development on Monday, saying the text will be put to vote at the UN Security Council (UNSC) later in the day.
The UNSC was about to vote on a French-drafted proposal on Sunday. Russia had, however, taken exception to the draft, saying the monitors were far from prepared to take on the mission.
The Russian mission had, accordingly, threatened to veto the resolution, which it condemned as nothing but “a disaster” and said it would put forward its own proposal. France’s UN envoy Francois Delattre had, however, ruled out the possibility of any compromise on the contents of the draft with the Russian mission.
Commenting on the likely composition of the agreed text, a source from one of the delegations at the UNSC told journalists that the Council had been discussing the possibility of merging the Russian and French texts, Russia’s Sputnik news agency reported.
The amended draft resolution would prevent "mass atrocities" in the areas, which were still besieged by militants in Aleppo, Delattre said.
Takfiri militants had seized Aleppo back in 2012. The city was recently restored to government control on the back of a month-long military operation. The country is now in control of all of the Syrian major cities.
The victory has not sat easily with the devoted opponents of the Syrian government, who have been open-handedly supporting militants with financial and political support over the past five years to secure the ouster of President Bashar al-Assad. The militants have been receiving patronage from the United States, Turkey, and some Persian Gulf states.
Recently, Russia and Turkey reached a deal enabling the evacuation of civilians and militants from Aleppo. The agreement ushered in thousands of evacuations.
The process was, however, halted after militants violated the ceasefire deal and blocked the transfer of civilians from the villages of al-Fou'aandKafarya in neighboring Idlib Province.
On Saturday, it was reported that the government and militants were working on a new deal to resume the evacuations from the villages as well as two towns near the Lebanese border.
The United Nations said on Sunday that the evacuation had resumed. The process was first set to resume earlier in the day but was postponed after the militants attacked and burned around 20 of the buses that had arrived to transport people out of the city.
Syria rages at infanticide
Also on Sunday, the Syrian government sent separate messages to the UNSC and the UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon, condemning the terrorists’ using of children for terror operations.
The inhumane actions, Damascus said, indicated that the countries supporting the militants, whom they call “moderates,” have no concern about the life of the young ones.
Countries like the US, France, the UK, and their allies should immediately stop the support, it added.