,According to Rapportuer Report From EFE , Link , A new earthquake measuring 6.5 on the Richter scale struck central Italy on Sunday morning, reported the National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology.
The quake, which was originally reported to measure 7.1 and hit at a depth of 10 kilometers (6.2 miles) in the regions of Umbria and Le Marche, demolished several houses.
Fabrizio Curcio, director of the Department of Civil Protection, said dozens of people were injured, and one was in critical condition.
Local media reported that three people had been rescued from the rubble in the town of Tolentino.
Cesare Spuri, head of the Le Marche region Civil Protection, told local media that buildings had collapsed throughout the area and they were still trying to establish if there could be people trapped under the rubble.
He said most houses were empty because two quakes that struck on Wednesday had forced most residents to evacuate.
Most of the buildings that collapsed on Sunday were believed to have been damaged in the previous earthquakes.
Tolentino mayor Giuseppe Pezzanesi said several buildings in the historic center were destroyed, which he found very shocking.
Prime Minister Matteo Renzi said he wanted the affected towns to know that everything would be rebuilt.
Speaking at a press conference in Rome, he said the region was the soul of the country, and as such, he did not doubt that Europe would help in any way necessary.
According to official data, around 4,000 people have been evacuated since Wednesday, but Renzi said they would all be moved from tents to hostels in the coming weeks.
In August, central Italy was struck by an earthquake that leveled several towns and left around 300 people dead and several thousand without homes