A senior Iranian official says the loss of thousands of lives during a crush in Saudi Arabia last year showed the incompetence of the authorities in charge of the rituals in the Arab country.
Iran’s Parliament (Majlis) Speaker Ali Larijani, in a message released late on Sunday, on the first anniversary of the crush, said the Iranian people and anyone with a free will in the world is still mourning the tragedy, which occurred during Hajj rituals in Mina, near Mecca, in September 2015.
He said the thousands of pilgrims who perished during the crush were killed in a “sacred land that has to be a place of ‘peace’ for Muslims in order for them to carry out the Hajj rituals.”
“This bitter reality,” Larijani said, “is a big sign of the incompetence of the Hajj authorities in Saudi Arabia and the irresponsibility of the country’s authorities to manage Hajj rituals.”
He urged that the Muslim world put on its agenda the establishment of a fact-finding committee to probe the Mina tragedy. He also called on the Iranian Foreign Ministry to pursue the case in international courts of law, and through legal, judicial and political channels.