Two militants killed in shootout with Tunisian security forces
According to Rapporteur Report From, Press TV, Link, The deadly shootout erupted after security forces had raided a house where members of a "terrorist" group had holed themselves up in the city's Oulad Chalabi district, the agency added, citing a security source. Four militants were also arrested in the incident.
The slain fighters were "highly dangerous terrorists," Tunisian Prime Minister Youssef Chahed said.
He added that the group had planned to carry out attacks during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan which will begin this year in late May.
One member of the group was a foreigner, Chahed said, without providing further details.
No casualties were reported among security forces
Earlier on Sunday, local media had said that two members of the group were detained while a third had blown himself up.
In February, similar clashes took place in the city of Kasserine, to the west of Sidi Bouzid. Five militants were killed and three security personnel were injured in that fight.
Hundreds of Tunisians are believed to be fighting alongside jihadists in conflicts abroad. Observers predict this could cause problems for Tunisia when the insurgents return home, as the country already struggles to contain an Islamist insurgency.
In 2015, the northern African nation saw a string of attacks which affected tourism, a major source of income. Most of those were claimed by the Islamic State extremist militia.